Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Summer Reading

It's been a while, dear reader! You'll have to excuse me. I've been a little busy graduating from college and whatnot. I just found out this morning that I passed philosophy--so you can all stop holding your breath. 

So now what? Working at Justice, that's what. It's not as bad as it looks. The worst part is coming to terms with moms who say to their daughters "Just pick out anything you want, honey!" I was never allowed to pick out anything I wanted unless we were at the library. Maybe this is a clue as to why I dress like a 50-something who can't be bothered by fashion and have chosen to dedicate my life, more or less, to reading the same sort of books I read when I was eight.

Christy and I went to the Carnegie Library last week and I forced her to waste a half  hour of her life in the children's section. I checked out Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, The Magician's Nephew, and Redwall.



This one because I don't think that the book gets enough credit. Though the movies are pretty good adaptations (I have a weird soft spot in my heart for Tim Burton and who doesn't love a good Gene Wilder meme?), I think it's a shame that so many Roald Dahl books have been made into movies. As a rule, I didn't see the movies until after I'd read the books. This wasn't the case for most kids though, which I consider to be a bummer.



I can't remember if I've actually read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I know that it was read to my second grade class (and then we watched the movie). So, I'm reading it again. I also have never even touched the sequel, so I'm giving that a shot too. 

The Magician's Nephew is the first in the Chronicles of Narnia series. Ugh. As you are all aware, fantasy isn't really my thing. You use that information to conclude for yourselves how I might possibly feel about an allegorical Christian fantasy. 



Ah, Redwall. As a middle schooler, I just could not get into these books. I had a really hard time suspending my disbelief. I had (and still have) lots of questions. Do humans exist in this world? Is it like Beatrix Potter stories? How do the little animals make glasses for themselves? If so, they obviously can't be the glasses that we think of in modern times because they do not not yet exist. It's just stressful for me. If you have any insights on this, please let me know. I'm talkin' to you Hannah and Sierra, especially. I remember you ATE THESE BOOKS UP. And I hated them and preferred to read realistic fiction. Such a little weirdo I was.

Anyway, I'm reading the first in the series (and that is all because there are like one million of them (not really, only twenty-two) and I can barely stomach this one). But don't think I hate all books about little rodents. I remember quite well Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh. One of the best books I've ever read. So there, I'm not entirely prejudiced against talking animals.

Oh, there's a movie of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh too. I don't really remember it but it really doesn't do the book justice at all. It seems I'm frustrated with film adaptations today. So sorry. Also, I vaguely remember an animated Redwall TV series on PBS. Needless to say, I didn't really like it. Any thoughts on that from Redwall fans?






* * * 

This morning I was devastated to hear about the loss of author and illustrator Maurice Sendak. I can't even begin to describe how important his works are to the children's literature canon. I can't really say any more on it, but please read here. It's a beautiful tribute. And this, a way to remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment